13th of November, 2004
- Reworked the printer CSS file for better readability and in order to correct a few errors.
- Set the name anchor appearing directly after the skip content link to display 'none' in order to avoid it being rendered.
- Removed the word 'top' from the title of the first page, as this was seen as confusing by users.
- Corrected a bug that lead to a broken link in the contact document.
- Increase font size of the text underneath images on the first page from .75em to .90em.
- Increased the contrast of in-active menu items.
28th of October, 2004
- Upgraded the site to version 6.0 and added a news item regarding the new design and structure.
22nd of October, 2004
- Added an error document for "Service Unavailable"
19th of October, 2004
- Added the article on siteSifter.
- Added a stylesheet for printing.
Removed border-attributes from
Corrected a link on
- Added a specific stylesheet for handheld computers.
- Wrapped even linked images in the hyperLink class.
Aaround the menubar header, so that browsers which do not manage to link to ids can still get to the menu.
/help/browsers.html. A total of 29 tests have been included.
18th of October, 2004
Added a first level header (h1) to
Added a first level header (h1) to
- Increased the maximum width for the 'motto' class from 20em to 25.
/help/to reflect that accesskey "4" now has been assigned to the newly completed search function.
- Revision 6 of the corporate site moved to beta-status. From this point onwards, a detailed development history will be made public.
3rd of September, 2004
- Begun redevelopment. Please note that the history for revision 5.* of the site has been omitted for internal reasons.
1st of December, 2003
- Begun redevelopment.
11th of September, 2003
- Set the media attribute for included stylesheets to "all" so that Netscape's 4-series get non-styled content. This is due to said user-agents poor handling of stylesheets.
13th of August, 2003
- Added references to Wmake to the sitemaps.
9th of August, 2003
- Changed the background to a more pleasant colour.
- Corrected a bug in the way stylesheet files for printing were linked.
10th of July, 2003
- Added a Opera 7.2-specific stylesheet.
1st of July, 2003
- Updated the accessibility audit to reflect recent changes on the website.
19th of June, 2003
background-color: inherit;from all paragraph rulesets. This ensures that the underline on links appear in Gecko-based browsers. I feel too punch-drunk to even think about reporting this bug.
- Changed the visited colour of links to a somewhat lighter grey colour to make it less annoying whilst reading articles, whilst still standing out enough even for people with low vision.
- Removed the first line indent on paragraphs. I find it less attractive and user-friendly that I first envisioned.
16th of March, 2003
- Added a maximum width and automatic margins to all definition lists.
8th of March, 2003
Added an explicit monospace declaration in the
CSS ruleset for
PREto avoid the idiocyncrasies in how Mozilla 1.2b+ and Phoenix 0.5+ handle such constructs.
25th of February, 2003
- Adjusted the maximum width of paragraphs from 72 ex to 74. This makes for better line lenghts, in my opinion.
- Increased the line height of paragraphs from 1.4 to 1.5 in order to accommodate the new style of the CODE tags.
- Removed 12 pixels from the nested menu items on the main navigation. It took a WHOLE lot of horizontal space.
- Added the article on specifying Content-Type for XHTML documents.
articleReferencerule block to widen the gap between each article presentation.
- Changed the suggested rendering of normal P-tags to a more classical one with indented first line and no top margin.
- Changed the stylesheet definition for the DD-element so that it is now slightly indented and with more room underneath.
- Added styles for the HR-element.
- Added advanced CSS trickery to insert content before and after BLOCKQUOTE-tags and before the PRE-tag.
- Changed, slightly, the style of the CODE-element on a suggestion from David Dorward.
- Added some more elaborate styling for the PRE-element.
29th of January, 2003
- Added a stylesheet for Opera 7 (final) (Windows).
Corrected an error in the description of the language selection menu
27th of January, 2003
- Added - thankyou David - a change in background colour for links when they have focus. This will aid in identifying links visually when using the tab key.
26th of January, 2003
Corrected an error in
/sv/help/index.html- I had used the attribute
langin place of the correct
/en/help/about.htmlto reflect changes in the URI of the WCAG documentation.
- Added UK Goverment standard access key configuration to the alternative menu.
- Changed the system generating menus so that these now get assigned the proper access keys.
/language/help/index.htmlto reflect the new use of access keys.
- Indented every list item on two or more levels just a little - 18 pixels to be exact.
- Removed the bottom border from news headers.
- Replaced the language selection with appropriate flags representing language-associations. This gives them more focus, and makes the functionality easier to find.
- Moved the site version number to after the menu. This gives the menu more room and more focus, and works better in browsers which linearize the content.
25th of January, 2003
- Changed the presentation of the main menu. For graphical browsers the current document is now marked with a graphical symbol, whilst text or similar systems will have a short, explanatory, text.
- Changed the presentation of the language options. There really is no need to present a link to an alternative document in the same language which is allready current. Added styles to match.
- Changed the structure of the news items to a list, which makes more sense semantically. Added styles to match.
- Changed the way news articles are linked. Now the "News" header on the front page links to the area itself, whilst the blurp links to the actual news item.
- Changed the version numbering scheme, starting with 4.0.22. This will be more noticable internally, and should matter little for the general public.
- Linked the logo to the root, as per common use of the thing.
- Changed occurrences of "Read more" as link texts - and their Swedish and Norwegian equivalents - to something that makes sense out of context per WAI WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 13.1.
- Removed the gradient background on all right hand elements. The change is universal.
- Changed the background colour of each right hand element to white. This change is common to all CSS files.
24th of January, 2003
- Replace the old grey logo with a variety made in white. This goes better with the new overall look.
5th of January, 2003
- Added a new section - "News" - designed to hold press releases and other news items related to Greytower.
4th of January, 2003
- Alterned the styles for the very first paragraph of each front page, so that there is a smaller gap - visually - between the newsbubble and the content.
- Changed the borders of the news "bubble", to make them more distinct.
6th of November, 2002
- Added a stylesheet for IE/Mac 5.21
22nd of October, 2002
- Slightly reduced the size of fonts for users of Windows MSIE 6.0, in defence against said browsers insanely huge default fonts. A tad evil, I agree.
- Corrected numerous errors in the Netscape 4-specific stylesheet-file.
- Corrected a spelling-error on the Swedish part of the site.
Added an exclusion for the secure site in the
- Added a Konqueror 3.* specific stylesheet.
17th of October, 2002
- Updated various items on the secure site.
greytower.icoin order to reduce the amount of "file not found" messages in the error-log.
Corrected a spelling error on
/en/help/, courtesy of J.M.
- Added a robots.txt file.
- Corrected a spelling error regarding the word "copyright" (copyrigth), courtesy of G.C.
linktitles so that they match the content they link to, courtesy of G.C.
21th of August, 2002
- Froze development and launched the new site.
20th of August, 2002
background-colorproperty for all headers to
transparentto remove a grey shadow previously unnoticed when testing on LCD monitors.
- Changed the MSIE 5 -series specific stylesheet to reflect changes for version 4.0 of the site.
- Corrected several grammatical errors.
19th of August, 2002
/sv/contact.htmlto bring it in line with the English and Norwegian versions.
hreflangattribute to all links. This complies with WCAG 1.0, checkpoint 4.1, and makes it explicitly clear when a user passes from one linguistic alternative of the site to another.
abbrattribute to all table headers. This complies with WCAG 1.0, checkpoint 5.6, and may be of used to future assistive technologies when making sense of tables.
summaryattribute to all tables. This complies with WCAG 1.0, checkpoint 5.5, and adds further information to aid visitors at our site.
accesskeyattribute to the sitemap links in the alternative menu. This will ensure that a user can always press a system-specific shortcut key + 's' to get to the sitemap.
- Updated the alternative menu on /en/, /no/ and /sv/ to reflect changes in the site structure.
- Added Norwegian and Swedish variants acting as place-holders for documents only available in English. These contain short descriptions and a link to the proper place.
17th of August, 2002
Grouped the language and navigation links in the right hand column
- Added a link in order to skip over the right hand menu and go directly to the content. This link is visible only for browsers which do not support stylesheets, and are in line with guideline 13.6 of WCAG 1.0.
15th of August, 2002
- Changed the Opera 3-series specific stylesheet to reflect changes for version 4.0 of the site.
14th of August, 2002
- Added a stylesheet for WebTV 2.6, and changed various stylesheet properties to make the visual appearance more in line with the reference browser.
- Tested Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, and changed various stylesheet properties to make the visual appearance more in line with the reference browser.
13th of August, 2002
- Tested Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0sp1a, and changed various stylesheet properties to make the visual appearance more in line with the reference browser.
Changed all occurrences of
xml:langfor the Norwegian and Swedish sections of the site.
31st of July, 2002
Reduced the font size of
suptags. The change is global for all stylesheets.
- Altered the border around example code blocks slightly, to make it looked as if it was carved in rock. Very cute.
Updated the master CSS file
to remove old styles, and to clean up duplicates which made specifying
preblocks very awkward.
29th of July, 2002
- Increased the left margin on all ordered and unordered lists for Opera 6-series (Linux).
28th of July, 2002
Changed the positioning of the right hand column from
absolutefor Netscape 6.01 (Windows).
background-attachment: fixed ;for Opera 6-series browsers (Windows), to ensure that the background in the right hand column stays put.
- Changed the margins on the various elements of the right hand column for Opera 5- and 6-series browsers (Windows) only, to avoid the elements being rendered more-or-less on top of each other.
background-attachment: fixed ;for Opera 5-series browsers (Windows), to ensure that the background in the right hand column stays put.
background-color: inherit ;and
color: inherit ;to the
h2.newsHeaderdeclaration to avoid a bug in Opera 5.10 where the default value was not
- Added a separate CSS file for Amaya 5.3.
- Added a separate CSS file for Amaya 4.3.2.
Added a larger (
4em) left margin to all ordered and unordered lists for MSIE 6.0.
Adjusted the positioning of the right hand column for
MSIE 6.0 from
19th of July, 2002
- Updated the menu generating code so that the sitemap is now constructed dynamically in the same manner as the main menu. This ensures that both are correctly and identically updated.
- Corrected a bug in the menu generating code which prevented the remake of entire sections of the site because of accumulating menu code ...
Reversed the position of the
Converted use of the
- Updated the alternative, text-only, menu to reflect changes in the site structure.
- Added a thin border line to the right and bottom sides of example code blocks.
- Moved the header of all example code blocks in two (2) pixels from the left edge of the containing block.
- Moved - in visual browsers supporting CSS 2 - the canvas and right column four (4) pixels in from the top, left, and right, instead of the old two (2). This makes for a more open, clear, layout.
max-widthvalue from 80ex to 70ex for paragraphs under the impression that 70 x (height of 'x') might be an more sound way of indicating number of characters per line.
16th of July, 2002
Helplink so that it is now the last link in the menu.
- Added language codes to the language selection links and texts.
Added a brief place-keeping document to
- Added a descriptive text to the language selection menu. The change is consistent between all three language trees.
Corrected grammar in
15th of July, 2002
- Added a document describing how Greytower.net does content negotiation on language.
- Corrected a CSS error which gave the main menu a grey and not blue background.
Corrected a number of warnings given by the
CSS validator due to
14th of July, 2002
- Completed the document describing the Greytower.net relation to WAIs WCAG 1.0, and what we have done about the various issues.
Added a distinctive styling to
- Increased the overall line height to 1.4 for readability.
- Added server-side redirects so that requests for language specific versions of the WAI site audit and the browser test document is sent to the English version of the site.
13th of July, 2002
Added code so that all browsers which report that they accept
will be served data with the proper
Added redirects from
- Corrected a spelling error: 'Archive' is not Norwegian for 'Arkiv'
- Added information (/en/) on selecting fonts in Opera 6.02 (Linux)
- Corrected a bug in the Master CSS file which sent all ordered lists immediately preceded by a 3rd level header minus 2em to the left ...
- Added an index-page for the services/ section.
- Collected the various Greytower e-mail addresses in the Contact-document so they are easier to find.
- Corrected a bug in the menu generating code. Now a sub tree should be displayed if the currently active document is the root of that tree.
11th of July, 2002
- Added documents describing the site's issues in regard to the WAI, as well as a list of current test browsers.
historyinto the Help-section of the site.
- Began work on a new, re-designed and re-structured, version of the Greytower site.
30th of June, 2002
AddLanguagedirectives to the various htaccess-files so that each document is served with the proper Content-Language HTTP header.
19th of June, 2002
- Changed the global stylesheets, adding a small header and some background to example code.
11th of June, 2002
- Replaced the three individual language selection icons with one client-side image map. This will prevent the menu from falling apart in browsers that do not support CSS 2 positioning.
Added an explicit
siteVersionNumberrule set for MSIE/Win 4-series.
Added an explicit
newsHeaderrule set for MSIE/Win 4-series.
Added an explicit
newsBubblerule set for MSIE/Win 4-series.
widthvalue of the
Canvasrule set to 80% for MSIE/Win 4-series.
leftvalue of the
mainMenurule set to 88% for MSIE/Win 4-series.
Set an explicit
leftof 88% for the
languageSelectionrule set in MSIE/Win 4-series to mimic the layout desired.
Added an explicit
siteVersionNumberrule set for Opera 3.* browsers.
Added an explicit
newsBubblerule set for Opera 3.* browsers.
- Updated the master CSS file so that the language bar is moved just a little bit in and down.
10th of June, 2002
- Changed the 'active menu' indicator on client/internal pages so that they reflect a status of 'login', not 'home'.
6th of June, 2002
- Spell checked all pages, and corrected numerous errors.
titlevalues on all pages to something more informative.
4th of June, 2002
Changed the value of
90em. This resulted in the common
heightbug in Opera to disappear ...
Updated the MSIE 4,
5 and 6 CSS files to
cover the added newsBubble section which uses the, by
CSS files for Konqueror
1.9.8 and 2.2.1 in order to correct for some deficiencies in how
these browsers handle the
3rd of June, 2002
- Corrected the linking of the History page in various languages.
- Added an essay on the use of browser detection for custom CSS handling.
- Changed the background color to the slightly-less-than-white RGB color 248, 248, 248.
- Added the first-page "News" area.
- Moved the canvas a little bit downwards in response to user feedback.
30th of May, 2002
- Added a page on copyrights.
- Added <LINK> based relationship structures to all pages.
- Separated the Articles section in Archive, and it in turn into Articles, Links, and Documents.
- Launched a new, slightly re-structured and re-designed version of the site in order to correct for known problems with accessibility.
25th of April, 2002
- Corrected several spelling mistakes on the English version of the site. Thank you, my friend :)
3rd of April, 2002
- Restructured the physical directory layout underlying the various cgi scripts to increase security and portability.
30th of March, 2002
- Changed the suggested front of all paragraphs to Trebuchet MS, alternatively the user's sans serif font.
- Added a printer specific stylesheet. This is common to all browsers.
28thof March, 2002
- Updated Opera-specific stylesheet code.
- Created MSIE 6 specific parts of the new rules for styles, to avoid limitations in said browser.
- Updated the CSS rule set to reflect the need for new styles after some reorganization of the secure site. The changes are universal.
- Corrected a bug in the linking from the secure site. Now all menu links go to the correct, open, part of the site.
- Corrected a bug in the template handling for secure pages, so that their layout now matches open parts of the site.
- Corrected a bug in the stylesheet rules siteVersionNumber that prevented required display of the site version number.
- Corrected the layout of new elements for Opera 6.0tp3 (Linux).
26thof March, 2002
- Grouped the main navigational links in accordance with WCAG 1.0, Priority 3 (AAA), Checkpoint 13.6.
- Added the accesskey '?' to the Help-link, and added a brief description of how to use such keys to both that and the site map-link.
- Re-coded the "Help" functionality for a more consistent look and feel, and to ensure that the help symbol remains on screen at all times.
- Re-coded the 'Turn off menu' functionality for more consistent look and feel.
11thof March, 2002
- The <title> element was set, more often than not, to a wholly unproductive value. Corrected.
- When viewed on a system/monitor in only grayscale or black & white, the language currently in effect was not obvious due to the lack of color. This is a violation of WCAG 1.0, Priority 1, Checkpoint 2.1 and has been corrected as of 2.0.09.
- The language choice images had been incorrectly coded, and was re-sized client side. The problem has been corrected, and the images cleaned up.
- Restructured the entire site to ensure maximum security.
- Corrected several cases of missing xml:lang attributes.
The language specific pages had the
titleattribute of the language selection link for the language in effect set to "". Corrected.
9thof March, 2002
- Corrected a missing CSS file that prevented access in Netscape.
8thof March, 2002
- Corrected a bug in the visual presentation of the menu control icon on Mozilla 0.9.7 (Linux).
- Changed the coloring of the underline on links; a normal, non-visited and un-hovered link now should be #3CB871, turning to #CD5C5C on hover, and #000000 on visit. The change is universal.
- Added a version number to the site, for easy reference.
7thof March, 2002
- Launched the new version of Greytower.net